Road Accident Fund 101

If you have been involved in a motor vehicle mishap, you have two claim options: damages for any personal injuries and damages to your possessions. These claims are handled inversely. If you have suffered damages to your property due to an accident, you must claim from the driver or owner of the automobile that caused the accident. If you are hurt or if a member of your family has died as a result of the accident, you can claim payment from the Road Accident Fund (RAF).

What is the RAF?

The RAF is a distinctive fund that pays compensation owed to the victim of a road accident on behalf of the careless driver who instigated the accident. The RAF is subsidized by a tax that is included in the price of petrol and diesel, this is recognized as the fuel levy. Everyone who buys petrol or diesel in South Africa, therefore, donates to the fund.

When can you claim compensation from the RAF?

You can claim payment from the RAF if

you are hurt as a result of a motor vehicle accident caused by a neglectful driver;

you can verify that the driver who caused the accident was driving carelessly; and

you are the dependent of an individual who was hurt or died in a motor vehicle accident caused by a careless driver.

You cannot claim payment from the RAF if

you caused the accident in which you were hurt. This consists of accidents where you were the only individual involved, for example, if you drove into a ditch.

What can you claim for?

The subsequent compensation claims can be made from the RAF:

Claims for bodily injuries, including claims for medical outlays, pain and suffering, and loss of incomes.

Claims for loss of support if you are the responsibility of a breadwinner who was extremely injured or who passed away as a consequence of the accident.

BB Attorneys

Claiming from the RAF can be a difficult and complexed process. Visit us today at BB Attorneys and let us help handle your claim to ensure the best possible outcome for you and your loved ones.

Back to Articles

Our Services